1. Marco Oppedisano - Fractured Sky 05:02
2. Mark Hamilton / Bruce Hamilton - fig dog 2 03:07
3. Jordan Watson - Fungus 02:19
4. Neil Haverstick - Beautiful Springtime 06:45
5. Kavin Allenson - Plastic Nightmare Beetle 04:40
6. Tigress and the U-Fraidees - Hard WATER 02:30
7. Jukka-Pekka Kervinen - flood zone 02:40
8. Roger Sundström - The Sightless Light 06:15
9. The Michael Vick Trip - Mileage, Another Wasteland 02:53
10. Bill Horist - Auscultation Hall 11:37
11. Chris Vaisvil / Bruce Hamilton - feedfill 04:26
12. Steve Moyes - Clutching 02:29
13. James Ross - Quasicrystals 09:36
This compilation celebrates the electric guitar and its creative use with a collection of varied tracks that provide a small snapshot of what some artists and composers have been doing in 2010-2012.
Despite only eighty odd years of use (and even less as a widespread instrument), the electric guitar has been a major force of musical invention, forging new genres of music and new sonic territories to explore. Musicians today have a rich history to draw upon: Les Paul and other early masters, the various and celebrated icons of blues, rock, jazz and fusion; and several decades of guitarists extending their instruments through preparation and modification, processing, new playing techniques, and different tuning systems.
The music on this album is informed by the aesthetic, timbral, compositional and conceptual innovations of Derek Bailey, Adrian Belew, Glenn Branca, Robert Fripp, Bill Frisell, Fred Frith, Jimi Hendrix, Keith Rowe, and Elliott Sharp, to name but a few. Yet there are always more things to say, more avenues to explore, and more artists popping up to advance down these paths.
released 17 April 2012